Here at Aston Childcare, painting is a very popular activity and one that we enjoy regularly. I know some childminders shy away from it due to the inevitable mess it can make but not so here!
To keep it fun and interesting, we enjoy doing lots of different types of painting including – printing (such as potato printing), Large scale painting, Finger printing, Hand print painting, water painting and mess free paint bags.
The opportunities for developing children’s learning are endless which is why I like to ensure painting is accessible to children throughout the week.
Here are just some of the reasons why painting is so important –
- Painting helps develop children’s creative development and stimulates their brain.
- It allows children to freely express themselves and develop their creativity. Young children can use their bodies to move around exploring as they go.
- Painting can provide children with vast amounts of learning, this may be developing their fine pincer grip or learning about colour mixing. Large-scale painting is great for developing social skills.
- Painting is a tactile sensory experience.
- Children will often show their feelings through their marks.
As with any activity it is our role as childminders to scaffold the children’s learning and help them reach their full potential.
Areas of Learning covered: Communication & Language, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Expressive Arts and Design